The Public Relations Consultants Association of Nigeria (PRCAN), is a trade sectoral group for the public relations industry in Nigeria. Founded in 1984, PRCAN aggregates and articulates the interest of member firms and works to uphold best practice in public relations in Nigeria in the areas of standards, conduct as well as economic well-being for the public relations industry generally and public relations consulting in particular for the benefit of all stakeholders.
- The Public Relations consultancy business in Nigeria has experienced three major phases:
- The era of the pathfinders.
- The birth of Preecan
- The repositioning of PR CAN.
The era of pathfinders Public Relations practice in Nigeria dates back to the first half of the 20th century (colonial war office, UAC, Railways). However, the first set of public relations consultants emerged in the late fifties and existed until the seventies. At that time, focus was on press agentry. In addition, most of the firms were named after the founders probably because their names commanded goodwill and could get them accounts.
These were the founding consultancies:
- OAB Press (Ebun Adesioye as Founder)
- Publicity Services Nigeria Limited (Dotun Okubanjo)
- Gab Fagbure & Associates (Gab Fagbure)
- Gab Idigo & Associates (Gab Idigo).
- Uloma Nwachukwu & Associates (Uloma Nwachukwu).
- Bob Ogbuagu & Associates (Bob Ogbuagu).
- Praction Partners Limited (Olu Ademulegun).