Public Relations Consultants Association of Nigeria draws legal backing primarily from Bye Law Number 3, 1993 of the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations Act 16, 1990, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.
The Corporate Affairs Commission incorporated PRCAN Limited by Guarantee as a “private company” with legal personality on May 24, 2007. The primary objective of PRCAN is the promotion of professional reputation management in Nigeria within the public and private sectors. Other aims and objectives include to:
- Promote the practice of professional public relations consultancy in Nigeria;
- Support, educate, promote, encourage and assist Nigerian professional public relations consultants;
- Promote public relations ethics and professionalism amongst Nigerian professional public relations consultants;
- Award monetary grants, facilities, support and assistance to Nigerian professional public relations consultants;
- Provide institutional, intellectual and other productive support to professional public relations consultants within Nigeria, and to establish a pool of financial and material resources, which will be made available to public relations consultants in Nigeria;
- Admit eligible public relations consultants/practitioners into the Association;
- Instill and continuously maintain a high level of professional discipline and standard amongst the members of the Association through the implementation of the provisions of the Code of Professional Conduct prepared and maintained by the Association for its members;
- Hold seminars, lectures and conferences on substantive issues relating to professional public relations consultancy in Nigeria in order to enhance public relations and appreciation of the role of professional public relations consultants in promoting an open and civil society;
- Keep and maintain a Register of public relations consultants; and
- Act as the spokesperson of public relations consultants in Nigeria and to generally cater to the welfare of public relations consultants in Nigeria.